Skip to main content

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory

I love history and royalty.

Stories about the Tudors were mostly centered on Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. His first wife Catherine of Aragon had always been depicted as a plain, matronly and saintly queen.  I never liked her that much. I always thought that she and Henry VIII were ill-matched. Until I came across Philippa Gregory's version of her in The Constant Princess.

Catherine of Aragon had character. She was capable of loving intensely. She was proud, courageous, passionate and even capable of deception. She actually had a spine! Very different from the Catherine in other Tudor stories I've read and watched in the past.

The author of this book believes that her marriage to Henry VIII's brother Prince Arthur was consummated contrary to what history and other stories about her claim.

Intriguing. Exciting! The story plot will surely evoke mixed emotions. A must read for people who love the Tudors and are curious about what lies beneath the serene character of Catherine of Aragon.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praise Him Who Orchestrates

From an outsider's perspective, my professional life revolves around the highly coveted (by quack nutritionists and dietitian wannabes) practice of being a nutrition, health and wellness expert.  Made even more exciting by the myriad of interesting people I get to meet in my office, my client's corporate offices, as well as, the lectures and media launches and appearances I engage in. A career that is not only financially rewarding but delicate and dynamically impacting the lives of people in many ways.  Little do people know about my life as an online English teacher which commenced in 2013 and concluded in 2018. A humbling experience that has taught me so much about the Japanese culture and how it is to truly work for something that does not entail much monetary compensation. Half an hour or two, sometimes more hours, several days in a month was all it took to give me that sense of pride in witnessing my students, who could barely speak a word of English during our first les...

The Cosy Tea Shop in the Castle

Author: Caroline Roberts The setting was perfect. As you read through this chicklit's pages, you will be transported to a charming castle that is falling apart. The entire novel will surely evoke cravings for the sweet tooth. It was an entertaining read up until the author seemingly decided to try her luck in writing a steamy novel which turned out to be a total disaster. The descriptive sex scenes were unnecessary in the story plot, not to mention how badly they were written. I had to browse through the pages quickly. Finally, as if the author wanted to reward her readers for enduring those cringe-worthy pages, you will find something at the end of this book that will be useful in your kitchen. 

Marie Antoinette, Princess of Versailles

I should have spotted the word Scholastica before reading this book but no! It was too late before I realized that this was written for pre-teens. Still, it was entertaining enough for some light reading for a woman my age.  The author wrote a fictional diary of the young Antonia based on facts. Had this been a book for women instead of girls, I would have wanted to read all about Marie Antoinette's thoughts on becoming queen, being married and not having children for several years, the French revolution all the way to the last minutes of her life. Which reminds me that 3 books such as I've described was written by Juliet Grey.