Skip to main content

A tribute to my dearest Auntie Beth (Dr. Ma Lilibeth Janerol March 10, 1959 - May 4, 2021)

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.  It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.  Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 


Auntie Beth is the epitome of love. She has touched so many lives with her smile, words and actions. She would try her best to help anyone who is in need. 


She always prioritizes her family. She would fight for her loved ones. Even in her deathbed, we would see her vital signs increasing whenever one of us would cry. 


I still remember the first time I met her. She and Uncle Rudy were just dating back then in the early 1980’s. They brought me to SM Makati and she chose a yellow top and denim skirt for the four year old me. I felt so loved.


She treated me and my brother Neil like her own. Whenever she would come home from her dental conventions, she would give us the same freebies as Aian and Em. She even had tshirts made for me and Neil that said “My Auntie is a dentist!” She was present in almost all of our milestones from graduations, birthdays, my brother’s engagement in Zamboanga and his wedding.


Auntie Beth wasn’t just there for the good times. She was ever present in my darkest hours. In 2004, I got into a terrible situation and I ended up being arrested by the NBI. She spent the entire night with me. We slept on a bench. For years, she and Uncle Rudy would accompany me to court hearings. The day I won my case, Auntie Beth hugged me so tightly and she sobbed. She said. Nanalo tayo!!! (We won!!!) That’s the way she is. Her family’s battles are also hers. 

When I had my radiation in 2004 and no one can come near me, she and Auntie Emyth bravely went to help me in the hospital on the day of my discharge. Again in 2015, when I had a medical emergency, she was beside me together with Auntie Emyth. She did not hesitate to clean me down there in my most vulnerable state.


She cared for all my inner circle friends and they became her adopted pamangkins.


One night in Hong Kong, we were exhausted from walking long hours searching for Em and RJ, sabi nila they will lead the way pero iniwan nila kami (They said they will lead the way but they left us). I told Auntie to just rest and wait for us. She said: “Hindi! wag tayo maghiwalay! Sama sama tayo.” (We should stay together). She has always been like that. She wants us to be complete as a family. But what about now Auntie Beth? While we are comforted that you are now with Jesus and the rest of our loved ones who had gone ahead, we are left with a huge void in our hearts. Trips, family get togethers and even visiting your home will never be the same. Para kaming nawalan ng isang poste sa pamilya natin (Our family lost one of our pillars). 


I would like to read an excerpt from my brother Neil the night Auntie Beth joined our Creator:


Auntie beth we are still in denial and pain seeing you take your last breath. God blessed you with victories over cancer for almost 20 years, we saw so many miracles already. I rest tonight believing this time, He wants you to be with Him instead. You are my hero since I was very young. I have so many memories of you about relentless resilience, hardwork, and fierce love for family. A beautiful and loving wife and mother to military officers and doctors. One of the best dentists that cared for our armed forces in Fort Bonifacio for decades. Auntie you are a mother to us all. We really miss you auntie, we wish we called more. It was so sudden. We’ll see you again in heaven auntie beth, we love you very much!” 


I would like to thank Uncle Rudy and my cousins for giving me the opportunity to honor our beloved Auntie Beth today. 


Auntie Beth, rest now in the loving arms of Jesus where there is no more pain nor sorrow. God had already answered our prayers. Our miracle is your eternal life and a lifetime spent with you in the future. I love you. I will terribly miss you. I can’t imagine life without you but I promise that we will take care of each other and we will forever remember the life lessons you have taught us. Magmamahalan kami katulad ng pagmamahal mo sa amin (We will love each other the way you loved us). We will remember that next to God, loyalty to family is our priority despite trials that may come our way. Thank you for everything. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Disappointments in the Desert

A desert is a place of death. One we might call,  godforsaken wasteland.  As a consequence of living in this fallen world, we go through deserts and sometimes even find ourselves stuck in this dreadful place. The deserts in our lives come in the form of inconvenience, disappointments, difficulties, pain and sufferings. What is the cause of all these? Sin, our wrong choices in life and the consequences of sin committed by others.   Why does God lead us into the desert?  Being in the desert is a humbling experience. You see, when we encounter difficult times, we are reminded of who we are and who God is. We experience His love and grace. We become more dependent on Him. It also puts us in a position wherein others notice our dire situation but not in any way to disgrace or shame us but rather see how God works in us. Our stories give hope to the hopeless. And we know that in all things God works for the good  of those who love him, who  have been called  according to his pur

Confessions of a single woman' s heart (CLOY Edition)

While almost everyone else was binge watching K-drama over the lockdown, I was too busy working long hours, from 6am to 12 midnight. I didn't realize that I have allowed people to overstep the boundaries of my time. I would get frantic calls from anxious patients, caregivers and whoever needs me at an ungodly hour. I would do my best to help them calm down while I was crying inside my heart.  I was emotionally, mentally and physically burned out after 8 long months. I began to resent the internet (online meetings and webinars were too much!) yet oh so grateful for it because it kept me connected to the people I love and it enabled me to work while many have unfortunately lost their jobs. It was on my birthday weekend in November 2020 that I finally had precious time to spare after months of striking a balance between taking care of my patients, remotely working for my family's businesses, ministry, coping as much as I could (because I terribly missed my family) and keeping my s

Reflections of a thirty six year old rehabilitated shopaholic

All these years I came to realize that life is too beautiful to waste on trivial pursuit of people and things that deprive one from experiencing inner peace and joy. A beautiful life is not perfect but we can make the most out of it by choosing to look at a glass of water half full instead of half empty.  Want to live life to the fullest?  Choose to honor God in everything that you do. It will be easier to decide on things. Learn to receive love and reciprocate. Don't be afraid to let go of relationships and friendships that do not make you a better person. Pray for the people who weigh you down. Allow God to work in you individually and separately then trust Him for restoration at the right time.  Take care of your health. Your bank account is connected to it. For when you get sick, you will need money and unable to make more money. Be grateful for all blessings that come your way whether big or small instead of whining over things you don't ha