Skip to main content

Confessions of a single woman' s heart (CLOY Edition)


While almost everyone else was binge watching K-drama over the lockdown, I was too busy working long hours, from 6am to 12 midnight. I didn't realize that I have allowed people to overstep the boundaries of my time. I would get frantic calls from anxious patients, caregivers and whoever needs me at an ungodly hour. I would do my best to help them calm down while I was crying inside my heart.  I was emotionally, mentally and physically burned out after 8 long months. I began to resent the internet (online meetings and webinars were too much!) yet oh so grateful for it because it kept me connected to the people I love and it enabled me to work while many have unfortunately lost their jobs.

It was on my birthday weekend in November 2020 that I finally had precious time to spare after months of striking a balance between taking care of my patients, remotely working for my family's businesses, ministry, coping as much as I could (because I terribly missed my family) and keeping my sanity intact.

My two best friends forced me to watch Crash Landing on You. I had no Netflix account, I was clueless about CLOY. But like a breath of fresh air, the first few minutes of episode one made me feel something oh so pleasant. Perhaps it was the radiant beauty of Son Ye Jin,  the gorgeous chiseled features of Hyun Bin, their unparalled chemistry or the script. I had no idea but I found myself engrossed in the story and the characters. At the end of the first episode, I didn't know what hit me. I was hooked!

For someone who had been a self-proclaimed connoisseur of Mexican telenovelas, specifically those starred by Fernando Colunga for 24 years, I found myself a rare treasure in CLOY. It was nothing compared to anything I have ever watched, including some K-dramas in the past like Jewel in the Palace, Boys Over Flowers and the like. 

Can anyone explain to me how a seemingly innocent stare between Captain Ri and Seri makes one's heart feel like it's going to explode?  Truly these actors are brilliantly over the top. Their eyes and subtle movements can convey much more than a thousand words could ever express.

Let's get things straight. I am not a prude. I had my share of romance in the past (wink and another wink!). Yet for someone who had asked God for single blessedness, CLOY made my heart flutter again. All in the absence of bed scene and torrid kissing. The writer managed to create exhilarating scenarios without those cliche love triangle, sickening immoral angle nor conflicting social status issues. After all, both Captain Ri and Seri belonged to the creme dela creme in their respective countries. Just pure romance sans malice. It puts Hollywood productions and even the Mexican telenovelas I have watched for almost a quarter of a century to shame. Sorry but that's the truth. 

You see, when you make a decision to stay single, it is important for you to protect your heart from anything that may bring forth wrong desires making you yearn for something you do not have. It will consume you and you will end up being derailed from your purpose.

Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.
                                                                                                    - Song of Solomon 8:4

CLOY is a magnificent work of art and an epitome of perfection. It showcased a love that is primarily pure, mature and unconditional. It didn't compromise the values and culture of Koreans in its plot. Moreover, like cherry and candy sprinkles on top of an ice cream, it had an awesome supporting cast. The ahjummas, Seo Dan's family and Captain Ri's men were all interesting and hilarious. The cinematography, musical score and soundtrack were exemplary too! The story ended in a way many will find unrealistic or unsatisfactory. But that's the reason why it's a modern day fairy tale. It's supposed to be unreal and so far from our world that it could  blissfully take you away from reality in 16 episodes.

Crash Landing on You came as a gift to me at the right time. God knew I had to find a reason to smile like an idiot, laugh my heart out and release all those months of pent up emotions by sobbing during that heart wrenching border scene. Captain Ri and Seri's love story wonderfully crash landed in a world that was weeping with the unprecedented attack of this pandemic. 






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Disappointments in the Desert

A desert is a place of death. One we might call,  godforsaken wasteland.  As a consequence of living in this fallen world, we go through deserts and sometimes even find ourselves stuck in this dreadful place. The deserts in our lives come in the form of inconvenience, disappointments, difficulties, pain and sufferings. What is the cause of all these? Sin, our wrong choices in life and the consequences of sin committed by others.   Why does God lead us into the desert?  Being in the desert is a humbling experience. You see, when we encounter difficult times, we are reminded of who we are and who God is. We experience His love and grace. We become more dependent on Him. It also puts us in a position wherein others notice our dire situation but not in any way to disgrace or shame us but rather see how God works in us. Our stories give hope to the hopeless. And we know that in all things God works for the good  of those who love him, who  have been called  according to his pur

Reflections of a thirty six year old rehabilitated shopaholic

All these years I came to realize that life is too beautiful to waste on trivial pursuit of people and things that deprive one from experiencing inner peace and joy. A beautiful life is not perfect but we can make the most out of it by choosing to look at a glass of water half full instead of half empty.  Want to live life to the fullest?  Choose to honor God in everything that you do. It will be easier to decide on things. Learn to receive love and reciprocate. Don't be afraid to let go of relationships and friendships that do not make you a better person. Pray for the people who weigh you down. Allow God to work in you individually and separately then trust Him for restoration at the right time.  Take care of your health. Your bank account is connected to it. For when you get sick, you will need money and unable to make more money. Be grateful for all blessings that come your way whether big or small instead of whining over things you don't ha