Skip to main content

Silly Prayers

Sometime in January this year, I saw beautiful flowers as I passed by a flower shop which prompted me to say a silly prayer: "God gusto ko ng flowers. Yung nice. (God I want nice flowers). But it should not come from a guy who has romantic illusions in mind." 

Fast forward to a couple of weeks later, I received a dozen luxurious Ecuadorian roses from my female patient with a thank you note. You see, we have been through a lot the past two years and saw how the hand of God works!  



That's one silly prayer answered but it didn't end there. On the same day, I said another silly prayer while attending an event at Edsa Shangri-La Hotel. I asked God to give me another surprise. Lo and behold, the hotel's GM called my name and handed me a gift certificate for an overnight stay with spa treatments! 

Isn't Jesus romantic? He knows how to make my heart go lub dub.



In June of 2010, I was exhausted after coming home from my Ateneo school trip in Vietnam with my brother Neil. Plus another short trip to Zamboanga to oversee preparations and attend my grandmother's 90th birthday. I just had enough time to pack before leaving for the US to take my licensure exam. On my way to the airport, I again said a silly prayer: "Jesus I'm exhausted. Please upgrade me to business class." I never thought my prayer will be answered. But as I was checking in, I noticed my luggages being tagged PRIORITY. I didn't give it much thought. When I found myself comfortably seated in the departure area, I heard my name being called. As I approached the counter, I was handed  a new boarding pass that read: BUSINESS CLASS!

In March 2016, the day of Sting and Chris Botti's concert, I woke up and prayed: "Jesus, today is Sting's concert. I don't have a ticket and I don't want to spend for a ticket." I got out of bed and went to work. After I left my patient's home, I got a call from my best friend Vannah bearing good news that someone gave me a ticket to the concert!

In July of 2017, my best friends Genevieve, Vannah and I also asked God to make us win a prize at Marriott's prestigious event. Guess what? We won the grand prize. 

I have said countless silly prayers in my life. Oftentimes I don't even mean them and I don't really care whether God answers them or not. Yet to my delight, they get answered! Diamond rings, Chanel and LV purses, caviar when i'm craving, overnight stay in presidential suites, the list goes on and on. None of these came from any guy with a romantic interest because I am always specific about that. I want it to only come from God. Yes i'm weird like that. 

Lest I get misinterpreted as someone who is superficial and materialistic, let me now get to my point as to why I am sharing these answered silly prayers. None of which will help alleviate poverty in the world nor heal the sick and promote world peace.

I simply wish to share that the God who answered my silly prayers is the same God who also performs miracles and answers our more serious prayers. However, sometimes the silly prayers get answered immediately yet the more serious ones don't. Why is that so? You ask.

When you pray for financial breakthrough, don't expect to win the lottery and all your financial woes be solved. Focus on how Jesus is providing for your daily needs. Your food, clothing and shelter. Listen to what He is teaching you about handling your finances. Learn how to manage your resources. When you can be trusted with little, only then can you be trusted with more. Wealth given  when your heart is not pure and ready will destroy you. Will you give a Ferrari to a child and allow him to drive it? 

Why is there poverty all around us? Instead of blaming God, look at your blessings. Think about how you can share them to those who are less fortunate. May the Lord answer their prayers through you.

I pray for the healing of loved ones and my patients most of the time. There are times when healing is instantly granted but more often than not, people have to wait for the healing process to be complete. Why? Because God wants to strengthen your faith and give you hope. He wants you to see how he can heal you, provide for you and build relationships with people during your healing process. You will be healed. Don't doubt. But the most important thing is to build your relationship with Jesus, your healer and promise giver.

Praying for the restoration of relationships? Don't expect God to answer if that relationship is outright wrong. Don't struggle. It's time to find freedom in Jesus. Let go. If the relationship needs to be restored and it hasn't been, listen to what God is telling you about forgiveness. Forgiveness does not mean everything is ok. It simply means giving up your right to hurt back and just surrender everything to God. Yield your spirit to Jesus. He will give you the peace which transcends all understanding.

When you pray for something according to God's will and only in the name of Jesus, always have an expectant heart. For if you delight yourself in the Lord, He will give you the desires of your heart.











Comments

  1. Amazing God. Prayers really works in mysterious ways.
    I always ask God for signs and I always get to see it.
    Thanks for this wonderful stories to share Ms.Cheshire :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Disappointments in the Desert

A desert is a place of death. One we might call,  godforsaken wasteland.  As a consequence of living in this fallen world, we go through deserts and sometimes even find ourselves stuck in this dreadful place. The deserts in our lives come in the form of inconvenience, disappointments, difficulties, pain and sufferings. What is the cause of all these? Sin, our wrong choices in life and the consequences of sin committed by others.   Why does God lead us into the desert?  Being in the desert is a humbling experience. You see, when we encounter difficult times, we are reminded of who we are and who God is. We experience His love and grace. We become more dependent on Him. It also puts us in a position wherein others notice our dire situation but not in any way to disgrace or shame us but rather see how God works in us. Our stories give hope to the hopeless. And we know that in all things God works for the good  of those who love him, who  have been called  according to his pur

Reflections of a thirty six year old rehabilitated shopaholic

All these years I came to realize that life is too beautiful to waste on trivial pursuit of people and things that deprive one from experiencing inner peace and joy. A beautiful life is not perfect but we can make the most out of it by choosing to look at a glass of water half full instead of half empty.  Want to live life to the fullest?  Choose to honor God in everything that you do. It will be easier to decide on things. Learn to receive love and reciprocate. Don't be afraid to let go of relationships and friendships that do not make you a better person. Pray for the people who weigh you down. Allow God to work in you individually and separately then trust Him for restoration at the right time.  Take care of your health. Your bank account is connected to it. For when you get sick, you will need money and unable to make more money. Be grateful for all blessings that come your way whether big or small instead of whining over things you don't ha

Confessions of a single woman' s heart (CLOY Edition)

While almost everyone else was binge watching K-drama over the lockdown, I was too busy working long hours, from 6am to 12 midnight. I didn't realize that I have allowed people to overstep the boundaries of my time. I would get frantic calls from anxious patients, caregivers and whoever needs me at an ungodly hour. I would do my best to help them calm down while I was crying inside my heart.  I was emotionally, mentally and physically burned out after 8 long months. I began to resent the internet (online meetings and webinars were too much!) yet oh so grateful for it because it kept me connected to the people I love and it enabled me to work while many have unfortunately lost their jobs. It was on my birthday weekend in November 2020 that I finally had precious time to spare after months of striking a balance between taking care of my patients, remotely working for my family's businesses, ministry, coping as much as I could (because I terribly missed my family) and keeping my s