Skip to main content

It's OK to say NO!




Candid photo taken in Seville, Spain - September 2016


Have you ever felt trapped in an unfavorable situation which you know in your heart that you could have prevented if only you took heed and followed your intuition? Do you endlessly justify choices and decisions that go against your feelings or contradict with what you believe to be true?

It could be uncomfortable to decline a request and so much more difficult if the one asking for your attention, time, effort or money is someone that you value.

Let me share to you my story. I was once a people pleaser. I wanted to make everyone around me happy. I tried to accommodate everyone who needed me or anything from me. In short, I wore myself out believing that I am the answer to the problems of anyone who comes to me. I was so wrong! 

Looking back, it was probably arrogance on my part because it made me feel good to be liked, needed and sought after. It gave me a sense of power. Was I happy? Not all the time. There were days when I had to push myself to do something even though I didn’t feel like it. I allowed people to weigh me down with their miseries and problems which they actually brought upon themselves. I have found myself in places I didn’t want to be in. I had to suffer in silence and be with people I didn’t like. I lost money on dead investments just because I didn’t want to offend “friends.”

You see, I never found joy in anything I did because I was trying to please everyone and  failed to see what God wanted me to do until one day, our senior Pastor Robert Hern Jr. said: “You are not the the solution to your friend’s problem. He/She is not your burden because Jesus is the solution.” That was a lightbulb moment for me.

Don’t get me wrong. We have a purpose in life and that is to allow God to use us to touch people’s lives for His glory. But with that divine purpose comes wisdom on whether to go ahead and do something or not. Saying YES to everyone and every situation is unwise. It makes you a pushover. 

Intuition is God’s gift. Pay close attention to it and take heed. It will steer you away from unproductive or worse, compromising or dangerous situations that disrupt your emotional equilibrium and derail you from the path that God has laid out for you. Do not allow yourself to sink into a torrent of unreasonable expectations, requests and obligations. You are but human and can only handle so much at one time. 

Trust your instincts. If you have a bad feeling about a business proposal then don’t pursue it. If you feel uncomfortable about an acquaintance then don’t allow the friendship to get deeper. If you have qualms about getting into a relationship with someone, then let go! If your body tells you that you need rest instead of going out late at night with friends, then politely decline the invitation. If a friend is weighing you down by being negative and constantly whining over trivial matters then back off and take a breather. 

Let’s make it more simple. How many times did you regretfully end up buying a dress just because the sales person said you looked gorgeous but deep inside you knew that it does not suit you and you were in denial all the while telling yourself that if you lose a few pounds then it might just look great on you? 

Look at yourself in the mirror now and practice saying NO in an honest, relaxed and cordial manner. You will surely disappoint people by saying No but if you sincerely acknowledge their feelings without giving in, they will respect you for not being a pushover. For example: “I’m sorry to disappoint you but I have to decline your offer.” or “I’m sorry to hear about your situation but I can’t help you.”

Believe me when I say how liberating it was to allow God to remove some people in my life in order for me to become a better person. It hurt a lot but I trusted Him enough to know that sometimes, friends have to live separate lives in order for God to be able to work in them individually. When it’s time, then God will restore the friendship. And He did! You’d be surprised how He can change you and others. It will lead to relationships that are fruitful and one that will enhance your life. 

I have learned that whenever I follow my gut feeling and say No to someone or something, I am saying Yes to God. It gives me so much peace that transcends all understanding. I have joy in my heart no matter what circumstance I am in. 


Listen, my son, accept what I say,
    and the years of your life will be many.

I instruct you in the way of wisdom
    and lead you along straight paths. 

When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
    when you run, you will not stumble. 

Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
    guard it well, for it is your life. 

Do not set foot on the path of the wicked
    or walk in the way of evildoers.

Avoid it, do not travel on it;
    turn from it and go on your way.
-Proverbs 4:10-15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Disappointments in the Desert

A desert is a place of death. One we might call,  godforsaken wasteland.  As a consequence of living in this fallen world, we go through deserts and sometimes even find ourselves stuck in this dreadful place. The deserts in our lives come in the form of inconvenience, disappointments, difficulties, pain and sufferings. What is the cause of all these? Sin, our wrong choices in life and the consequences of sin committed by others.   Why does God lead us into the desert?  Being in the desert is a humbling experience. You see, when we encounter difficult times, we are reminded of who we are and who God is. We experience His love and grace. We become more dependent on Him. It also puts us in a position wherein others notice our dire situation but not in any way to disgrace or shame us but rather see how God works in us. Our stories give hope to the hopeless. And we know that in all things God works for the good  of those who love him, who  have been called  according to his pur

Reflections of a thirty six year old rehabilitated shopaholic

All these years I came to realize that life is too beautiful to waste on trivial pursuit of people and things that deprive one from experiencing inner peace and joy. A beautiful life is not perfect but we can make the most out of it by choosing to look at a glass of water half full instead of half empty.  Want to live life to the fullest?  Choose to honor God in everything that you do. It will be easier to decide on things. Learn to receive love and reciprocate. Don't be afraid to let go of relationships and friendships that do not make you a better person. Pray for the people who weigh you down. Allow God to work in you individually and separately then trust Him for restoration at the right time.  Take care of your health. Your bank account is connected to it. For when you get sick, you will need money and unable to make more money. Be grateful for all blessings that come your way whether big or small instead of whining over things you don't ha

Confessions of a single woman' s heart (CLOY Edition)

While almost everyone else was binge watching K-drama over the lockdown, I was too busy working long hours, from 6am to 12 midnight. I didn't realize that I have allowed people to overstep the boundaries of my time. I would get frantic calls from anxious patients, caregivers and whoever needs me at an ungodly hour. I would do my best to help them calm down while I was crying inside my heart.  I was emotionally, mentally and physically burned out after 8 long months. I began to resent the internet (online meetings and webinars were too much!) yet oh so grateful for it because it kept me connected to the people I love and it enabled me to work while many have unfortunately lost their jobs. It was on my birthday weekend in November 2020 that I finally had precious time to spare after months of striking a balance between taking care of my patients, remotely working for my family's businesses, ministry, coping as much as I could (because I terribly missed my family) and keeping my s